(WARNING: No naked chicks below.)
– Happy Father’s Day to all Fathers: They deserve more than the big piece of chicken. So thanks, Dad, because it sure is easy to read with all this light.
– Boxing: Andre Ward looked solid against a depleted and tired Allan Green, who admitted that three training camps this year plus slimming down to 166 instead of 168 made him weak. Ward won 120-108 (12 rounds to zip) to advance to the semifinals of the Super Six Boxing Classic.
– The Roots is coming, the Roots is coming, the Roots is coming…: Tuesday, June 22nd, the Roots drop their newest album. It’s called “How I Got Over” and a bunch of tracks are already available. Hypetrak has “The Day”, “Web 20/20”, “Now or Never”, “Doing It Again”, “The Fire”, and “Dear God 2.0” on their website. I listened to “Dear God 2.0” and “Doing It Again” before stopping. I’ll wait until Tuesday for the rest.
– You got stubby fingers: At least according to your brain. Participants pointed to the tips and sides of their hands, which were hidden under a board. “On average, volunteers estimated that their hands were two-thirds wider than in reality, and their fingers a third shorter.” (New Scientist)
– Favela: The only reason I even know the word “favela” is because of Call of Duty and the fact that I shot the shit out shit on that stage. Instead of painting the place a deep red, like I did, Jeroen Koolhaas and Dre Urhahn went all pastel on that bitch: (unurth)
– Your phone has more germs than your toilet seat: Well what else do you expect if you’re gonna take a piss and tweet at the same time? Anyway, this company wants to sell you a cellphone sanitizer for $50. (Gearlog)
– Art with staples: Looks like a pencil drawing from afar, but it’s really made of staples. Go here if you really don’t believe me, you’ll also see art with pushpins and packaging tape. (Midge’s Mind)
-Birds: Photographer Andrew “Not Bardon” Zuckerman has a new book out entitled Bird. He took a bunch of pictures of birds in front of a white backdrop so the colors would really pop. And pop they done did. (New Scientist)
– Graphene: This is considered one of the “stiffest” materials in the world. (Come on, you didn’t giggle at stiffest?) It was discovered in 2004 by physicists at The University of Manchester, and it “resembles chicken wire.” Yup. They’re going to start making aircraft out of material one atom thick, that also resembles chicken wire. I know they mean at like a molecular level, but try selling that to a pilot. (Institute of Nanotechnology)
– What would you do? If your arm was stuck and you were by yourself with no chance of getting to a phone, would you cut your arm off? How long would you go before cutting? This guy went 12 hours, and doctors claimed it saved his life. (Wooten)
– Twitter Update: Blake has 40 followers (up from 39). I keep trying to get Herm Edwards to respond to me, and I won’t stop now. He keeps getting asked if he will join fantasy football leagues and he responds “do you play defense?” So Money, Demner, here’s hoping we have a new addition in the All Defense League this season.
– Tweet of the week: In honor of Father’s Day, here’s Jim Gaffigan (JimGaffigan):
“My 4 yr old son gave me a hand made card for Father’s Day. Maybe for Christmas I’ll draw him a picture of some toys.”
– Manpurse for your axe: Ces sent this on via an email with the subject line “unreal”, and I admit it looks sweet: (Ces)
But Ces got pissed because I responded with “a manpurse for an ax?” Which led to this:
Me: it looks like a purse, for a man, for his ax. Not trying to be a dick
Ces: would you call the same thing for a gun a purse?
Me: if that’s how it looked, yes
Just showing I don’t discriminate on manpurses.
– 9 milli headphones: Who doesn’t want earbuds made from bullets and kevlar? (The World’s Best Ever)
– Eliminate the sound of vuvuzelas: If you have a good equalizer, remove/reduce 233 Hz, 466 Hz, 932 Hz, and 1864 Hz. Your TV most likely has 300 Hz option, so reduce that one. There’s also some DIY stuff to block the sound out, if those horns piss you off. I zeroed the 300 Hz and 100 Hz on my Samsung and it was less annoying, but doubt you’ll get the sound completely out. (Fast Company)
– Create your own Heineken bottle: What, green glass isn’t good enough for you? You’re gonna select the “Party” design, I just know it. (Gizmodo)
– A-di-os, A-mi-go, which means I got to g-o: Just wanted to end this coming back to The Roots. Their first album, Organix, came out in 1993. Radiohead, 311, Onyx, Ace of Base, The Cranberries, Snow, Toby Keith, Shania Twain, Rancid, Jamiroquai, Collective Soul, Akinyele, Björk, Fat Joe, Sheryl Crow, Counting Crows, Faith Hill, Black Moon, Wu-Tang Clan, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Beck, Lords of the Underground, and others I’m sure I’m missing, all had debut albums in 1993. That’s an impressive list and shows you how good The Roots really are to last this long, to still sound good, and to have a discography that puts most of these artists to shame. I’m mean, beside Radiohead, who has been as consistent with their music? And the only one coming close to them live is Radiohead. So yeah, please buy How I Got Over and support good music. And let’s leave with another quote from Organix:
“Does anybody like good music? Sweet music, soul music? You know The Roots is a group that’ll choose it, just to use it, to make you move it.”